ROSEWOOD BOWLS CLUB
75-83 Mill Street,
Games Director: Dennis Heaton -
Functions: Nigel Marshall (Secretary) - email@example.com
( Click on this Map link for directions to our club. )
HISTORY OF THE CLUB
At a meeting held on 15 July 1949, in the School of Arts Hall, it was decided to form a bowling club in Rosewood. However, the first game was not played until 10 July 1954 when 29 bowlers were in attendance, with green fees set at 25 cents per person. The green was not officially opened until 5 February 1955.
During the intervening years, a site had to be selected and purchased, loans obtained and a clubhouse constructed. The Mill Street site was chosen from several on offer and an old army hut was donated for use as a temporary clubhouse. $2800.00 was borrowed from the Bank of N.S.W. to construct the green and refurbish the army hut.
Initially the Club colours were maroon and royal blue but in 1959, these were changed to the present maroon and gold. A Ladies committee was formed in 1953. A greenkeeper was appointed in 1954 at a weekly salary of $27.00. It was decided that the men would play on Saturday and Sunday with some rinks being made available to the ladies on Sundays.
In 1976 tenders were called to install a new kitchen and ladies room and lights were installed on the green the following year.
In the early 1980s the couch grasss green was replaced with Tif Dwarf.